Australian Soldier Killed in Training Incident

The man was taking part in a "routine" activity at the time. The army suspended all training exercises involving combat brigades. It is the second death of an Australian soldier in training since last week. Trooper stuart Reddan, 21, was killed by a falling tree branch on 4th of may while traveling in an armoured vehicle in 'Queensland. The latest incident happened Wednesday at mount Bundey training camp near Darwin. The department of Defence said "He received immediate first aid at the scene and was transported to the royal Darwin Hospital for treatment. The soldier was subsequently pronounced dead. Family members of the soldier have been notified. The Defence Minister Marise Payne said, "whether  on deployment or while training, the men and women of the Australian Defence Force undertake hazardous activities to ensure our safety and security.  

1. How would you feel if you saw a fellow soldier die while you were doing the same activities right next to him or her? 

2. If you were the parent or sibling of that soldier how would you feel that your kid or brother/sister died in training and not in combat? 

If i was doing the same training drill right next to that soldier i would be scared for him and me because i was just doing the exact thing he was and that could have been me that died. If i was the parent or sibling of that soldier i would be very sad and kinda worried for the other soldiers that he died in a supposed to be safe area and not in combat where it's supposed to be way more dangerous. 

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be very devestated to lose a friend right next to you in battle, it would be a very experience for every person in the army. I would be very shocked and devestated to find out about how he died and that he died.

• I would be sad and scared to have seen someone die doing the same things that I was doing. I would be sad and caught off guard because you don't think that it is possible for people to die during training. 

• To witness such a horrible tragedy is unimaginable, I would be afraid of my safety as well as the safety of my fellow soldiers. If I were a relative of a solider who died in training, I would be questioning what occurs during these drills. I would have never believed that soldiers have the possibility of dying while in training, it's saddening to think about it.

• Questioning what happens in the drills is a great point. They really shouldn't be pushing the trainees to the point where they die. The drills must be difficult if they have lost people during it. 

• I would be scared to death and i would never ever get that out of my head. After getting home i would take everything for granted and never ever waste a day. Because I will always remember that the person that died beside me could have been me. I would be very scared and sad because the training area should be safe and nothing like the combat area.

• I agree, I would also be very scared and I might even had nightmares from witnessing that. I would also never waste a day again after seeing that. I would also be scared to continue my training.

• It depends on how close we were. If close then I would be saddened but continue with training so then I could now protect his family. If not close then I would still continue on with training. It would be the same feeling as if he was in combat. No matter where it was we still lost him while he was trying to protect us. 

• I agree with you that it depends on how close you where with the solder even if you didnt know him it would still be sad. I also agree that now you can fight for him as he has lost his life. 

• I would feel terrible and terrified all at once. I would not want the same thing to happen to me. It would be very scary. I would be upset that they died in training, rather than defending the country. It would seem unnecessary .

• I would be a little bit freaked out. I would be worried about them but I would also be scared for my own safety. I would kind of feel like it was a waste since he never actually got to fight. It would be very sad.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker