Are Zoo's Humane?

Are zoos humane? Yes or no? Zoos and aquariums take care of their animals to make them feel as though they are right at home. Zoos also are required to maintain their health. They also continue to make sure the animals are well fed, that their environment remains clean and healthy for the animals behind the fences. Most certified zoos are ethical and take pride in their loveable friends we all know and love. Zoos are also good at preventing extinction especially now with a sixth mass extinction going on today. A Lot of people don't believe that zoos are ethical and humane so this puts a lot of stress and guilt on the zoo owners which is not good for business. Zoos also help with breeding their animals and bringing them into the wild, talking to the public about conservation and raising money for conservation programs.

I honestly believe that zoos are humane and ethical. I believe it's more of an opinion type question than a research type question and I feel some people should research just to make sure they want to keep their opinion or not. I love going to the zoo. I went like 5 times over the summer to the one in Omaha and I feel the animals are being treated right and being taken care  of correctly, so I do feel the zoos are ethical.

Do you believe zoos are humane and ethical, why or why not?

Do you feel the animals are getting taken care of properly, why or why not?

Do you enjoy going to the zoo?

Sourses:

https://www.americanhumane.org/position-statement/zoos-and-aquariums/#:~:text=Zoos%20and%20aquariums%20have%20an,science%2Dbased%20animal%20welfare%20standards.

https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2002-12-01/it-ethical-keep-animals-zoos

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/what-is-the-sixth-mass-extinction-and-what-can-we-do-about-it#:~:text=The%20planet%20has%20experienced%20five,of%20a%20sixth%20mass%20extinction.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it depends on the zoo. If the animals are well taken care of and given love, then I think it is more humane. However, I don't think it is very humane for people to be watching every second of their life. It is nice if the animal is saved from extinction or what not, but there are ups and downs to zoos.

• I personally think that zoos are not humane. I think that these animals should be in their natural habitat and not locked up. What about the zoo keepers? Are they treating the animals wrong? We watch them. What if you were locked up, you wouldn’t want people watching your every move.

• i think the zoos rescue the animals from being poached and i feel the animals dont feel they are being whatched 

• I believe zoos are humane if the animals are well taken care of. However, not all zoos are humane there have been a lot of instances where the animals are mistreated. Some research showed back in 2019 that African Lion Safari in Canada, Cango Wildlife Ranch in South Africa, and SeaWorld San Antonio in Texas were mistreating the animals. If animals are being mistreated they should go to a different zoo and not back in the wild since they have been raised in captivity. I personally like to go to zoos and see the many animals we don't see on a daily basis. 

• i agree some zoos dont treat their animals right but some do treat them right

• Zoos are not the natural environment of the animals living there, that should be clear. I think if the animals in the zoo are rescued and not bred to be there, then zoos are okay. Otherwise, I don't think that animals held in an unnatural environment just for people's entertainment is not right. 

• most zoos do make the enclosures as much like home they can for the animals 

• I believe that as long as the animal is being treated correctly, cared for properly, and feels safe in their environment, then zoos are completely ethical. However, I have seen some instances on the news of animals being mistreated, which obviously creates stress for the animal and makes them feel unsafe in their habitat. In that case, I believe that the animal should be released to the wild where it can roam freely. I personally love going to the zoo and seeing all the animals and I have never seen an incident within the zoo where it would be deemed unethical.

• i agree they are cared for correctly and some zoos dont treat the animals the best but the zoos i have been to do treat them correctly 

• The zoo is a wonderful place to visit.  All of the animals are safe from the humans and visa versa, as well as feeling the comfort of their homelands, even if they were born in the zoo.  They have everything they need or want taken care of by people that truely love this profession. Even if there is nonregulation practices going on in the zoo, there are laws to ensure that the animals will be treated humanely and adequately.  Overall, 10 our of 10 experience--would recommend. :)

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker