Are Zoo's Humane?

Are zoos humane? Yes or no? Zoos and aquariums take care of their animals to make them feel as though they are right at home. Zoos also are required to maintain their health. They also continue to make sure the animals are well fed, that their environment remains clean and healthy for the animals behind the fences. Most certified zoos are ethical and take pride in their loveable friends we all know and love. Zoos are also good at preventing extinction especially now with a sixth mass extinction going on today. A Lot of people don't believe that zoos are ethical and humane so this puts a lot of stress and guilt on the zoo owners which is not good for business. Zoos also help with breeding their animals and bringing them into the wild, talking to the public about conservation and raising money for conservation programs.

I honestly believe that zoos are humane and ethical. I believe it's more of an opinion type question than a research type question and I feel some people should research just to make sure they want to keep their opinion or not. I love going to the zoo. I went like 5 times over the summer to the one in Omaha and I feel the animals are being treated right and being taken care  of correctly, so I do feel the zoos are ethical.

Do you believe zoos are humane and ethical, why or why not?

Do you feel the animals are getting taken care of properly, why or why not?

Do you enjoy going to the zoo?

Sourses:

https://www.americanhumane.org/position-statement/zoos-and-aquariums/#:~:text=Zoos%20and%20aquariums%20have%20an,science%2Dbased%20animal%20welfare%20standards.

https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2002-12-01/it-ethical-keep-animals-zoos

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/what-is-the-sixth-mass-extinction-and-what-can-we-do-about-it#:~:text=The%20planet%20has%20experienced%20five,of%20a%20sixth%20mass%20extinction.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and good job overall Hunter! I do think your summary could be a tad longer.

• I think the majority of zoos that take care of animals are humane for the most part. Although I think there are some zoos whose animals aren't properly taken care of. I personally enjoy going to the zoo and I think it's fairly obvious when you go to a zoo that doesn't give the right care to its animals. 

• I think most zoo's who take care of there animals are humane. There are some zoo's who dont take good enough care of there animals but you can tell by watching the animal so I think most zoo's have learnt there lesson and keep the animals pretty happy. So I think most are taken care of properly but its probably more for the peoples reputation then for the animals which is sad but true in some cases. 

• it depends on the zoo some zoos take in hurt animals or animals that would not be able to survive on there own and give them a place and food and a life they would not have had before. some zoos are bad though they abuse the animals and use them for attention and money. 

• I think most zoos are humane and ethical. Only if they are acually taling care of the animals and making sure they are happy. And they shouldn't be able to take animlas that are perfectly happy where they are. They should only take the animals if they are hurt or endangered.

• Personally I think zoos are decently human. I think that they should only be able to take animals if they need help if they're hurt or their population needs to be increased. I feel if the workers are being respectful to the animals and not harming them then they are being treated right. I love the zoo.

• They kind of have a lot of animals who a lot of people think are trapped. I always think of how the animals are trapped in a cage forever till the end of time when they belong in an environment where they can grow. So for the mental reasons of animals, it can be bad. 

• I think that zoos are humane and there is no problem with them. If you think zoos are cruel or hurtful you should work with livestock. It is a dirty and not fun business. The animals are probably much happier being fed than out working hard for food. They probably like the attention from humans.

• I have mixed feelings about zoos. I like that they take care of the animals and let people learn about them. I don't like that they keep them there for the rest of their lives and they don't get to live their life like their species are suposed to do. 

• I think that zoos are okay but some zoos over do it and wont let them breed so they will later become extinct. I think that the zoos should take more care of the enviroment if they want the animals to enjoy it. I really like going to the zoo if I have people with me to make it fun.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker