Many of you probably haven’t heard of Texas’ Castle Doctrine Law. One story including this law is when a San Antonio woman home alone with her three sleeping kids when she heard an intruder break into her house. She then proceeded to grab her gun and shoot twice, hitting the intruder, Roman Rodriguez once in the chest. When the police came later they found Rodriguez sitting in a chair in the backyard of the same house he broke into, he later died from gunshot wounds on the way to the hospital. 

The Texas law permits this because it is self defense. In December of 2020 the Texas governor Greg Abbott tried passing a law stating that “It would require a homeowner to exhaust the potential of safely retreating farther into their home.” That introduced bill was fastly shut down. In a later tweet Abbott tweeted stating “The Castle Doctrine will not be reduced. We won’t force Texas homeowners to retreat.” He goes on in the same tweet saying how homeowners need to be protecting themselves especially will all the “Crazy ‘defund police’ ideas.”  

This law also applies to Iowa. In a more exact statement “Iowa allows the use of deadly force when it is believed necessary to protect one’s self or others from injury or death.” Some are wanting to get rid of, or reduce this law so you cannot move straight to violence right away when you're in danger. The reductions of the law could make it so in court you, or the homeowner could get in trouble and have some murder charges for defending your own property. Personally I think this law is amazing just the way it is. I think it would be really dumb to take away peoples rights to defend themselves. 

Sources 

https://www.dailywire.com/news/texas-mom-home-with-3-sleeping-children-shoots-kills-home-invader-states-castle-doctrine-protects-her 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2020/09/16/is-iowa-a-stand-your-ground-state-self-defense-law-explained/5803540002/ 

Do you think this law should stay the same? Why or Why not?

Do you think there should be restrictions on gun laws?

Do you think the Texas mother was in the right?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and one that hasn't been doen so +5. You did a great job Emily!

• I think this law needs to remain the way it is. We as people deserve the right to be able to defend ourselves when our safety is intruded upon. I believe there should certain restrictions on gun laws, eg., who should be allowed to buy a weapon. I believe the mother was in the right because she was defending herself and her children.  

• I personally think that without this law many more people would end up in danger as they wouldn't be able to defend themselves as well. I do think that there should be some restrictions on gun laws, although the mother was definitely in the right by protecting her and her kids. 

• I think it should stay how it is to protect family your property etc because if it would get changed in a wrong way more people could get hurt. I think that the women did the right thing to protect her kids. I don't think that the US needs restrictions on gun laws as well.

• I strongly believe that this law should remain in affect. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to take the right of self defense from intruders away from homeowners. Although, I do believe that there should be restrictions and regulations on who can buy and own a fire arm. I do think that the Texas woman was in the right. 

• This law needs to stay where it is. If it does not then a lot more people could get hurt without it. Like emagin you in bed and some brakes in and you can't just protect your family. So I think this law should stay.

•  think the law should stay! there is no reason you shouldn't be able to, to be able to protect your family. Texas woman was completly in the right. she did what she needed to do to be able to protect her kids. 

• I agree, in my eyes that woman is very brave!

• I think that this law should stay the same so that we can keep our friends and family safe. I think tht the Texan mother was in the right for trying to protect her family from an intruder. If the burglar didn't want to be attacked, he shouldn't have tried to break in.

• I think that the law should stay the same so ou can protect yourself under certain times.I think that they should not do anything with the gun restrictions

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker