Are single-gender school more beneficial today?

Are single-gender schools more beneficial for students?

The National Coalition of Girls’ Schools and National Coalition of Boys’ Schools have done studies on how more students of single gender schools have a higher satisfaction of graduating students. The Seattle times say that more single gender students explore more “identity” and have more courage to freely express themselves. Boys tend to be more kind, collaborative, and appreciative. While studies show, that girls will be willing to take more risk and engage in more school based activities. 

Coed schools (boy and girls school) will offer more diversity. This will help with being able to adapt to different environments and other situations. It will also, make a huge difference in communication skills being able to talk to the opposing gender. In situations with college and work environments, he or she will already be exposed more then students from single-gender schools. The coed students will not have as much fear talking to the opposite gender.

In my opinion I believe that students should be put with the opposing gender. Just for the fact that you may not have as much experience with social skills with the opposite gender. But, I feel like students of single gender schools would be more open to expressing themselves with their classmates. And have more of the learning distractions outlawed. 

Do you think that students should be allowed to choose between Coed schools and single-gender schools? 

Do you think that single-gender schools would be more effective in the learning aspect?

Which school would you choose to go to?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done overall Owen! I do think you could have replied back a few more times and be sure to reply back on three different days.

• I personally believe that students should have the power to choose to go to a coed or a single gender school because they have a choice. but I do think that single gender school are more effectient with the learning aspect of the situation but still I would rather go to a coed.

• I think that they should not have the choice and that the parents should. I think that it would not benifit learning in any way. It is not like the kids are destracted from hot people. If I chose I would choose COED, I would not really care if I had to go to other one though.

• I think that students should be allowed to choose between coed schools and single-gender schools because students have a choice to choose wjat school they want to go to and some students might not have good social skills with opposite genders. I think that single-gender schools are can be more effective in the learning aspect. I personally wouldn't mind going to either type of school, but I would probably go to coed schools becuase I already currently do.

• I would much rather go to a school were both genders are aloud and able to learn. I think single schools are good for some people but I think in harlan 2 gender schoolin the way to go. We don't have the numbers or size to have two different gender schools.

• I agree with you because I feel most people should have there say in it whether they go to a single gender school. And if they think it would be more benifit more for the student.

• I think that students should be allowed to choose between co-ed schools and single-gender schools. While I agree that single-gender schools are more effective on students and produce better scores with less distractions, I also believe that co-ed schools offer more opportunities that single-gender schools don't. For example, in the real world, adults work with people of the opposite gender all the time. While in school, teachers and classmates are helping us prepare and better communicate in the outside world, which makes for better employees and overall better people. 

• I agree with kids should be allowed to pick between coed schools and single gender schools.

• Of course students should be allowed to pick which type of school they go to. I can see how singe gender schools can be benifical and I can also see how coed schools can be benifical too. A coed school would totally give you experince on interacting with the oppisite gender and working with them. I think thats a big factor with coed schools. Though single gener schools could be benificial too, because students could be more themselves with their same gender without feeling the opposite gender is maikng fun of them. But that might just be a part of life.

• I think that kids should go to coed schools. It is good to talk to and associate with others. You can see many more people and get to know them. Many would say that it is distracting, but I do not believe that. I think that having friends of different genders would benefit people in the long run.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker