Are movie theaters dying?

They say that over the last couple of years, ever since streaming services have come out, that movie theaters are dying. Most people would rather stay home, turn on Netflix, and go to bed. But they say that this simple thing created to benefit entertainment is ruining a lot of business for movie theaters around the world. I mean think of it, why would anyone go see a movie, if they could just wait a few months for it to come out on a streaming service, that they can pay a monthly subscription for? Well, hopefully, I can change your mind about it. 

Today most film studios are rethinking whether theatrical releases are worth it. Some think that nobody will want to go see a movie in a theater over time. Now I know I may be overstating this whole topic, and that people will still go to the theater when a movie comes out. But during the pandemic, it really crashed the movie theater market. Now I understand that the COVID-19 pandemic shut down movie theaters and made it harder to go. So not only did that delay a lot of movies coming out so people couldn't see them, but I think it made people stop caring. So I'll tell you why you should keep going to the movies. 

I think Quentin Tarantino said it best. "When a movie comes out that you are interested enough to see, and it makes you want to leave your house, and buy a ticket, and you could do anything in the world you want that night. But you decide to see a film. One film in particular, and you go to see it on your own, maybe it's in the afternoon or maybe it's with a date or somebody, and you go to see it. And you sit down and you have an experience with a bunch of strangers. And at that moment, once the movie gets going, you become combined with others. And when you have a good experience, those are the things that stay in your mind and you keep with you for the rest of your life."

Obviously, I don't think that everything will change, if at all. We have seen that the box office still succeeds with releases like Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2. So in the end, it's up to the person, whether they will go to the movies or not. But I think going rather than waiting for a streaming service to release it, is a way better idea. 

Do you think movie theaters are dying?

Would you rather go see a movie, or stay at home and watch a streaming service?

Source 1

Source 2

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yeah, you get a better experience. 

• I think movie theaters are dying because people can juts rent or buy a movie at home and they have snacks and drinks. It could also be becasue of how lazy people are, I love going to the movies but only at the AMC movie theater becasue the seats are more comftorable

• Yeah, sometimes going to the city is the best way to view a movie. 

• I definitely think that movie theaters are dying. I think that people are starting to get lazy and would rather just sit at home and watch a movie. I think that going to movie theaters is way more enjoyable and make the movie seem more realistic than watching a movie at home. 

• In my opinion movie theaters are dying. Having so many platforms allows people to watch a lot of movies without having to move from their house. It is true that new movies are not always available in digital platforms but after a couple months they always end up being there. I would rader stay at home because it is more comfortable and you don't spend as much money.

• I do think that movie theaters are dying because big streaming corporations are letting people watch new movies within two months. All of the money then goes to the service, who pays to have the rights to that movie. I think that movie theaters should show older movies, because services make a lot of profit off of old movies that movie theaters don't show.

• I agree, streaming services get a lot of their views from older movies that people want to watch. 

• I do think that movie theaters are dying, I know that the movie theater in atlantic got bought, and now there is not a movie theater there nomore. Depending on the movie, I would like go to the movie theater for some movies just to be lazy and not have to make popcorn. 

• Yeah, that makes sense. You have to eat popcorn during the movie. 

• I definitely think that movie theaters are dying, but I don't think it is a good thing. I don't appreciate the beginning of business advertisements, but watching previews for other movies is fun. It is also fun to watch and hear. If you were watching Twister in the movie theater, you could feel the tornados. You could feel the powerful booms that come from the trees and such. On a streaming service, we pay almost $20 to watch the movie, if you include snacks and such from at home you at about $30. BUT If you go to the movie theater, it costs $10 for you to get in, and $7 to bring snacks. So it is a cheaper alternative than buying at home. But if you would like to watch it again, you normally have 48 hours on a streaming service.  Overall I enjoy the movie theater more than the streaming service 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker