Are eBooks better than printed books?

Nowadays there are many different ways to read a book, starting in 1455 with the Gutenberg Bible, being the first printed book ever. Over the years we have experienced different types of books, digital types or traditional ones. The first ebook ever created was done by Michael S. Hart in 1971 digitizing the U.S. Declaration of Independence. As in traditional books, there are many different types and brands of ebooks. The most known is Kindle, first made in 2007 by the Amazon company. Since then, kindles have been a huge success being sold all over the world and making good profit from them. In 2012 Amazon made $565 million just with Kindles. As well as printed books have developed over the years, ebooks have developed too. Ebooks are not just kindles, ebooks are every digital format of a book such as PDF, EPUB, etc.  

There are some pros of reading an ebook. They help with the environment because they don’t require cutting down trees for producing the paper, they can be read many different books in the same device, the price of buying a new book is a lot cheaper (most of them being between $2 and $15) and sometimes you can even find them for free. Finally, it is easier for authors to publish books online than going through the process of sending it to the editorial, having the approval, printing it and at the end, selling it to stores. This may also be better for unknown or new authors so everybody can have access to their books. 

On the other hand, there are some cons about ebooks. Many readers like the feel of touching the paper that printed books have. Digital books are read on a screen and even though they are made in a different way so they don’t damage your eyes, they are still harmful and can affect your vision. To end with, some readers admit that not seeing the cover of the book every day as in printed books, may end up not knowing what book they are reading. 

According to research, many experts agree that ebooks are not worth in 2022 but I personally think they are. There are many types and platforms where to find them, resulting in a lot cheaper or even free. Ebooks help with the environment and are easier to carry around with you. 

Do you prefer ebooks or printed books?

Do you think there will be no more printed books in the future?  

https://uj.ac.za.libguides.com/UJeBooks/formats

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0812/e-books-vs.-print-books.aspx

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think EBooks have a future in society; almost everyone I know has read at least one EBook and hasn't complained ever. It's just like reading a regular book but you have a built-in light. I also think that EBooks should not be too expensive because it's paperless and you've already paid for your reading device.

• I agree with you. I think eBooks have a future but is nice to read printed books to.

• I prefer printed books I like to have the book in my hands reading it. Reading ebooks is harder for me because it hurts my eyes if I read too much. I think in the future there will be more ebooks even though I would rather there be more printed books. Printed books are harder to obtain, and harder to make. This will make companies want to make ebooks more common.

• I think e-books are better than written books when you are doing research so you can find things faster. But, when I read just to read, I want to read a printed book. I think both are pretty much the same thing. I do think that we wouldn't waste as much paper if we used more e-books.

• I agree that eBooks are better than printed books and mmore convenient.

• I prefer Printed books. If I can feel it then I will read it. There has only been 2 times that I have read an ebook all the way through. I don't have any will to read the ebooks. But if I see the cover and it is right there then I know I should read the book. I hope that they continue to print booksl It is interesting to see how they change. I have books from the 1920s all the way up to now. I have a book from every decade and they are all each new and different in there own ways. 

• I like e-books better when doing research assmetns or looking for information because it is easier to find information. However, I like to use printed books when I am reading a book. I think that when you are looking at books for a longer period of time printed books are better. 

• I agree with you. When reading for a long time printed books are better and will help your vision but ebooks are easier to carry around and easier to do research with.

• I prefer ebook i like listening to books over acually reading them. It is easier on my mind when im overwhelmed. I predict that eventually printed books will no longer be sold. They will still around but i feel that they will stop making them. Especially if they are wasting alot of paper. 

• I don't think printed books will disapear but less people will use them. At least there will be some printed books as they are the traditional way to read and how they started.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker