Are Athletes getting paid too much?

Are Athletes getting paid too much? Many Americans think that those who play sports shouldn't be paid more than those paid to teach these athletes in classrooms. A yearly salary for a teacher ranges from 40k - 80k, on the other hand, the athletes they did/are teaching are getting paid way more than them. Also, people such as firefighters, police officers, and people in the military are paid nowhere close to professional athletes. They are the ones saving lives but are hardly being paid a fraction of what athletes are getting paid. After most athletes get paid and their contract is almost over. They start asking for more and more money. Then when they haven't been paid when they were expected to be paid. They start playing worse and being the whole team down in a team sport, such as football. If a quarterback isn't getting paid, they start playing worse which equals the rest of the team playing worse. 

Then after they get paid more and more. Then end up saying they don't have enough money to support their families even though average people working normal jobs are getting paid way less than them. Most contracts come with guaranteed pay. This means no matter what, if the athlete doesn't play at all, they still get paid. Most jobs require them to work to what is expected and if they don't they get fired and there is no guaranteed money they will get.

Another reason why athletes are overpaid is that they have ever used/taken performance-enhancing substances or drugs. They usually just make a bunch of money that pays off the fine and pays off the audience. Some kids and some adults look up to most athletes. If they see or hear about their role model doing drugs that improve their game might teach the audience that these are ok and they should be them. When they are bad for the game and bad for your health.

The other side is that many think they aren’t overpaid, many believe that these athletes put their bodies on the line with the risk of getting seriously hurt. Studies show that 90% of athletes report an injury related to their sport. For some people that play non-contact sports. Such as golf, are making anywhere from $50-$150 million. Some athletes believe that they put everything they had to get into the pros. So they think once they get into the pros they should be paid more money than they ever were anywhere else. But in the end, I believe that athletes are way overpaid and jobs/workforces such as teachers and emergency services should be paid more because they educate people that go into professional sports. And some people even save lives and put their life on the line just so people can enjoy sports

Do you think athletes are overpaid?

What should be done to create more equal pay throughout the world?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/366795-do-athletes-get-paid-too-much-money

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that athletes get paid a lot of money but are not overpaid. A lot of athletes make more money than others because of sponorships. Athletes like Jordan, LeBron, and Curry make more money with their shoe brands that they have. I think for how much they make they derserve it, they work their wholes lifes to become a proffesional athlete. 

• Many athletes do have an apparel line that is bringing in a lot of money for them. But their contacts just continue to increase every time their contract needs to be extended. And they ask way more than what they had before.

• I personally think that athletes get paid a lot but are not overpaid. The reason I think this is because they bring in the money for themselves through the people who pay to watch the sport. They also make their money through sponsorships.

• Yes, they get paid a lot because they are the main entertainment on T.V. But some players are getting paid way to much. Someone could be playing the exact some position as another person. But the other person is doing better. But yet the first person is getting paid WAY to much. I think paying athletes need to be more equal.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I think since they are getting a bunch of money from sponsors. Their contact for the actual team should be less. But it does take everything they have to make it to the pros. 

• I don't think they are getting overpaid even though they are getting paid a lot of money, they earned the money by being like in their 30-40s they should earn a lot of money and they are be active. I don't think that there should be equal pay because some people get hurt really bad such as broken bone, torn ligaments, concussion, and many other injuries that they have to pay the bill.

• Yes, there is a chance of them getting hurt. But the surgery or whatever is required to fix their injury doesn't cost millions of dollars. People in the army are risking their lives every day, athletes are not. Either athlete's salaries go down, or people who are educating the world, putting their life on the line, or the people that are making these sports events happen should get payed more

• I don't necessarily believe athletes are way overpaid. They work very hard and obviously their job brings in alot of money. I do however think many other jobs are just way underpaid. We should be paying teachers,nurses,docters, policeman, military etc. The big bucks. I think if someone is risking their life for our country they should get paid way more than somone who throws a ball. 

• I agree, the people that are putting their lives on the line are the ones getting paid nowhere near these athletes. Yes, athletes work hard to be the best they can but they are getting paid to do things high schoolers and college plays do, Such as football.

• I think that other jobs - like firefighters, nurses and teachers - are getting paid too less. I have the impression that sports are a big thing - especially in the United States. So, a lot of people are willing to pay money in order to see their favorite athletes. And the money has to go somewhere - it's a big business I think. However, compared to what they are actually doing, I think they get paid too much and the ones who have an actual impact on society and saving lives are getting paid too less. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker