Are Athletes getting paid too much?

Are Athletes getting paid too much? Many Americans think that those who play sports shouldn't be paid more than those paid to teach these athletes in classrooms. A yearly salary for a teacher ranges from 40k - 80k, on the other hand, the athletes they did/are teaching are getting paid way more than them. Also, people such as firefighters, police officers, and people in the military are paid nowhere close to professional athletes. They are the ones saving lives but are hardly being paid a fraction of what athletes are getting paid. After most athletes get paid and their contract is almost over. They start asking for more and more money. Then when they haven't been paid when they were expected to be paid. They start playing worse and being the whole team down in a team sport, such as football. If a quarterback isn't getting paid, they start playing worse which equals the rest of the team playing worse. 

Then after they get paid more and more. Then end up saying they don't have enough money to support their families even though average people working normal jobs are getting paid way less than them. Most contracts come with guaranteed pay. This means no matter what, if the athlete doesn't play at all, they still get paid. Most jobs require them to work to what is expected and if they don't they get fired and there is no guaranteed money they will get.

Another reason why athletes are overpaid is that they have ever used/taken performance-enhancing substances or drugs. They usually just make a bunch of money that pays off the fine and pays off the audience. Some kids and some adults look up to most athletes. If they see or hear about their role model doing drugs that improve their game might teach the audience that these are ok and they should be them. When they are bad for the game and bad for your health.

The other side is that many think they aren’t overpaid, many believe that these athletes put their bodies on the line with the risk of getting seriously hurt. Studies show that 90% of athletes report an injury related to their sport. For some people that play non-contact sports. Such as golf, are making anywhere from $50-$150 million. Some athletes believe that they put everything they had to get into the pros. So they think once they get into the pros they should be paid more money than they ever were anywhere else. But in the end, I believe that athletes are way overpaid and jobs/workforces such as teachers and emergency services should be paid more because they educate people that go into professional sports. And some people even save lives and put their life on the line just so people can enjoy sports

Do you think athletes are overpaid?

What should be done to create more equal pay throughout the world?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/366795-do-athletes-get-paid-too-much-money

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice and well done Kamden!!

• I personally think that NFL players are not getting over paid they have put in hard work to be in the NFl. They get hit a lot and get hurt. Tom Brady has been in the league for 23 years and I think he deserves every bit of many he gets. yeah there are some that get overpaide but not many.

• I don't think that athletes are getting paid to much. Just for the fact that how much they are used for name, imagine, and likeness; and how many companies are trying to use them for add purposes. If you would be creating something to make equal pay you couldn't have people just sitting at home and not producing anthing to the world.

• I don't think that athletes are being overpaid. I think this because they're getting paid according to how much money the team or sport makes. For example, in the NFL, teams make a lot of money and can pay players millions of dollars.

• I feel that athletes are overpaid and the real heros in this world are not making near enough for the work that they do. The military, look at all the sacerfices they go through spending months away for their family to defend this country and our freedom and they do not make near what the athletes make. which to me is extreamly sad. 

• I think that some athletes are paid too much. I think that there are definitely some athletes that are way too overpaid. I think that even though the teams can afford it I think that they should put a limit on certain athletes' salaries. I think that QBs should be paid more than safety and they should do by how many years they have been in professional sports (experience years).

• Yes, I agree, Some positions should earn more money than others. But the amount they are getting paid is way too much. The more years they've been in the league can also determine how much they get paid. But the amounts are to much and some of the money should be used to pay first responders and emergency services more money

• I think they are getting paid too much. People such as nurses that are saving peoples lives everyday are not getting paid in the millions like the athaletes. However, I do see how they get paid a lot. They are creating enertainment for people and get paid for it. 

• Yes, nurses, doctors, and first responders are saving lives all over the US every day but are paid nowhere near as close as athletes. Athletes put in a lot of time to be the best, but doctors and nurses have to go to college to learn medical practices and have to operate on people every day to help them live

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree, all athletes do is provide entertainment. The only way that is possible though is through first responders. People put their life on the line so other people can enjoy sports events. But yet those people are getting paid way less than the athletes that are dependent on the first responders.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker