Another Company Joins Microsoft

On September 29th Microsft, specifically the Xbox division of Microsoft, purchased ZeniMax Media and their Subsidaries, including but not limited to:  Bethesda Softworks, Arkane Studios, MachineGames, id Software, Vir2L Studios, and Tango Gameworks. This is huge, these stuidos have created important titles like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, Quake, The Evil Within, Rage, and Prey. ZeniMax was founded in 1999 and curently had a networth of around $2.5 Billion in 2016; Microsoft Purchased the company for $7.5 Billion. I believe that this is a great move for Microsoft because they now have more access to many titles and can possibly rekindle some dead franchises with new passion and people. Many might consider this to be bad for the people as it's just another group of developers being absorbed by one of the richest companies on earth, but I see it as a new opportunity that Microsoft hopefully doesn't let go to waste. However, this could cause microsoft to pull certain titles and future titles from the PlayStation store as Sony is Microsoft's main competetor. Do you guys think that this was a good or bad decision for Microsoft, and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good topic choice Max. I do think your summary could be stronger and the use of paragraphs would help orgainuize it better. Be sure to add a couple mre questions as well.

• I think that this is a very good move for the company because they are simultaneosly eliminating some of thier competition and giving themselves more repertoire to use. However, all too often, a company like this will absorb another company for no other reason than to destroy the other company. I'm afraid that they will not attempt to use any of the new titles they have access to.

• I think that this was a pretty good decision for Microsoft.  I agree that they could definitely use this new addition to bring back or improve upon older games that could bring back many old fans.  They may be able to bring back games from the past, but who knows how the fans will react to it.  They may just think it's a cashgrab and not like it, or it could sell many copies.

• You do make a good point, Microsoft is probably just doing it for the money. They will probably make one or two games, then just not use their new developers again or make them work on other less creative projects.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker