Africa's Child Brides Expected To Double By 2050

At the age of thirteen, Fatimetou was forced to marry an older man. She didn't not like him and kept running away from him, but her family kept bringing her back. Another girl at the age of thirteen, Briggite gave birth to her first child. Amina was fifteen when her husband was sold. All of these stories are sadly very common. These girls's names have been changed to protect their identity . In a new study, UNICEF estimates that the total number of child brides will rise from 125 million to 310 million by 2050.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/26/africa/africa-child-brides-unicef/index.html

Why do you think these rates keep going up?

How do you think these rates could go down or how do you think we could help save these little girls from this?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done!

• We had a presentation on this in class and I think that it's going to be difficult to stop it because it's all in the culture of the brides family....trying to stop it could endanger not only the family but the child themselves but I don't agree with it at all and I think it does need to be stopped.

• The cycle of poverty there will never break unless something big happens, otherwise it will keep rising.

• They will keep going up because more men will want younger women. I think that girls shouldn't be able to get married till at least 18. In the US, it is illegal to be with someone over 18 if you are younger than 18 in the US so why can't it be in other places? 

• I don't think that there are certain obvious reasons on why these numbers continue to increase, but it has a lot to do with religion and beliefs in the countries where this is happening in. I don't know if there is much that we could do as a country to stop the numbers from rising.

• I'm not sure why these rates keep rising.  We should be working to stop this terrible thing. I think that UNICEF or a whole countries' government would need to step in to really save these girls. 

• Ya, i agree, something big would have to step up and do something

• I don't know why but I think its to bad and should stop happening. I think we could help get these rates go down by helping these people be more aware of what could happen.

• They are teaching their young that those sort of customs are OKAY and NORMAL. They've dug their own grave, and unless they flee the country it's probably never going to be different. 

• I think they go up because no one is stopping them. We cant just go over there though and say that they need to stop it because your a foreigner so you are representing your whole country so people there need to take care of it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker