22-year old Naomi Musenga calls emergency services hoping that they can help her. Naomi kept trying to describe the horrible stomach pain she was in and was saying that she is going to die. The operator told her, "You will die certainly one day, like everyone else." The operator kept repeatingling telling her to call the doctors but Naomi kept begging for their help. Naomi finally hung up and a realtive came over to her house and found her and called 911 for help. The doctor had taken her to the hospital and she had 2 heart attacks and went through intensive care and eventually died. No exact cause had been determined but her autospy had shown tons of organ failures. During the investigation, the operator was suspended. It was stated that the operators answer around 12 calls a day and it can be hard to distinguish serious causes from boo-boos. 

To read more https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/11/health/france-ambulance-call-mocked-trnd/index.html

1. Do you believe that this was wrong doing in the person behind the operator, was it a malfunction in the structure, or did Naomi not give enough details?

I believe that this was wrong doing in the person. Every person that calls emergency services and demands for help should be helped. It is there jobs to help these people in need. 

2.  What would you do if someone in your family or a close loved one was treated this way?

I would try my best to get the person who disrepected them, off of emergency services. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you that they should always take the situation seriously. Their job is to help these people in need and they failed doing their job by this harsh call that they made. And yes, definitely a law suit. 

• I belive the operator may have been too harsh with Naomi saying everyone dies but turning her down wasen't entirly unreasonable not many fatal Circumstances begin with stomach pains. I would try to feel sympathy for the operator who didn't know enough about my relative's conditon to help properly.

• I disagree and agree with you. The operator was harsh with his words but she was obviously in pain and she needed medical assistance. This type of thing should never be ignored. 

• bye

• I think that the operator is definitely at fault here. It's their job, I don't care if they get 12 or 100 calls in a day, you should know when someone is in serious pain and could be dying. I would probably sue the organization or person responsible within the law that I could.

• I agree with you. It is their job to help people in need. Doesn't matter how weak or strong their pain was. This girl was obviously in need and these emergency services may have costed her life. 

• In my opinion, the emergency person was a stupid person who does not deserve to work in emergencies because those people can depend on someone's life, I think it was very disrespectful and she would have to be fired, maybe if this operator had acted before the woman would still be alive 2. If I were a relative of the woman who died, I would be very angry and I would do anything to get that woman fired, you can not treat someone like that.

• I completely agree with everything you said. This person should lose their job for what they did. No call should be ignored if something is legit begging for help and saying that they are in pain. 

• I think that what the operator did was wrong she could have handled it better. Naomi might not have given enough detail to explain to the operator that she was having a heart attack. I would be very upset and frustrated. 

• I think that she probably did give enough details but the operaor didn't seem to care or just blew it off. I would tell you that when they would need emergency services one of the day and hope that they were told the same thing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker