A Cool New Way to Make Music

The Ice Music Festival in Norway is a sight to behold. Many musicians play in a concert hall completely constructed out of ice and snow with special instruments carved from blocks of ice using chainsaws and chisels. The festival was started by Jazz percussionist Terje Isungset who first discovered the beauty of ice after playing inside a frozen waterfall. Isungset began to construct instruments out of ice, of course starting with drums then trumpet and harp. For each festival a new instrument is reimagined in ice and musicians are encouraged to come and play the new, strange, and inventive way to make music.

Read more here

Watch the instruments in action here

Which Instruments Would you like to see carved in ice? Why?

I would love to see a didgeridoo carved out of ice because a didgeridoo is already a strange instrument and I am curious to know how it would sound if it were to be made of frozen water.

If you had the opportunity to go to the festival, would you? Why or why not?

I would love to go and see people play unconventional instruments, but the only thing that could potentially dissuade me from going would be the temperature.

What is most intriguing to you about the instruments and the festival?

I am mostly curious of how the instruments and concert hall are created, but I also wonder how much the normal instruments vary from their ice counterparts.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would go to this festival all bundled up of course to see this new way of music. I would hope to see a piano made of ice because I think it would be interesting how the keys move. I think it's very interesting how the pieces on them that need to move to create the music can move even though they're made of ice.

• Yeah, you definately would want to have a heavy coat, hat, and gloves before you go to a festival in Norway themed around ice. I would also like to see an ice piano. The complexity of the inner workings would be diffucult to fit in ice, but I wonder how it would sound.

• I don't kniow just any instrument that isn't there. If I had the oppurtunity I would go because I think it looks very unique and I enjoy music. I find it interestenting that is made out of ice.

• 1) Drum set. I don't think it would be possiable but I would like to see it because I play the drum set.

2)Yes, because I am very interested in music and I love music. 

3) I think it is really cool how they are made out of ice. 

• I also would like to see a drum set made of ice. It would definitely be a challenge to make and would almost definitely sound different than a regular set. The festival would be fun to attend and I agree that ice instruments are cool.

• I think a tuba would be interseting because they would have all the twist of the intrument and than see how it plays. i would because i like music and im in band and it seems really cool and fun. how they sound because its all lice not and kind on meatal and than have the real one playing next to it to see how the compare would be cool too.

• This is so cool! I wonder how different the instruments are to play and get a good sound.  If I had the chance, I would love to go to one of these festivals to see it live and get to look at the instruments and concert hall up close. I would love to see a piccalo be made of ce because it is so small and there would be many details that you would need to incorporate. 

• Yeah, the whole experience at the festival seems like it'd be magical and I would also love to go. My only restriction would be that I would have to wear two coats, three shirts, two pairs of pants, four gloves, three hats, eight pairs of socks, and warm boots.

• It would be so neat to see a piano made in ice. It would probably be difficult to play but worth the sight. I would go to this because it would be something fun and different. The most intriguing thing would be how the instruments are made. 

• I agree that an ice piano would be cool. Pianos are complex to begin with and have a lot of moving parts which would definitely pose it a challenge to make. It is already impressive that a trumpet or harp can be carved from ice but a piano would certainly be interesting.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker