Should Iowa Smoking Age Be 18 Or 21?

On December 20, 2019, The minimum age a person could purchase tobacco products in Iowa, was raised from 18 to 21. Many hoped that raising this would ensure that older high school students wouldn't be able to provide tobacco products for their younger friends. 90 percent of American smokers reported that they began smoking before the age of 18. People hoped that raising this would help prevent young people from being introduced to tobacco products altogether. The National Academy of Medicine reported that 18-20 is the critical period when many smokers move from experimental smoking to regular, daily use.They reported that 46 percent of people become regular everyday smokers before the age of 18.  Another reason for it to be raised was overall health. According to the CDC 480,000 deaths occur annually as a result of smoking. 

Some individuals were upset with the age being raised. Many that were 18 and already everyday smokers became upset when they could no longer purchase nicotine products. Many believe that it should have stayed at 18 because that is the age of a legal adult and people should be able to make their own decisions about their bodies. Some use the argument that if Americans can serve their country at 18 shouldn't they be able to smoke a cigarette? 

I feel that raising the smoking age to 21 was a good decision. I think smoking has a lot of negative effects on a lot of people and whatever we can do to prevent it from becoming more popular is a good thing. 

Do you think the smoking age should be 18? Explain why/why not.10865269086?profile=RESIZE_400x

Do you think the smoking age should be 21? Explain why/why not. 

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Sources

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what-we-do/us/sale-age-21 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2015/03/30/smoking-is-bad/?sh=413749978a90

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and well done Mylee!!

• I don't think they should lower the smoking age, and it should stay at 21. Not only can smoking be addictive, but there are also a lot of diseases that can lead to death from smoking. Smoking should be banned. 

• no, I don't because when you are young you most likely gonna continue to do it. I think it should stay what it's at because it stops kids in HS can sell them to other kids in high school. no, because people will still find a way to get it to fewer people but all people won't. 

• I personally don't care what the smoking age is. I don't want to smoke because of all of the side effects but I do know a few people that said smoking lowered their stress and helped with anger management. A few of those people were mad about the law but others used it as a way to quit. I don't think smoking should be banned altogether because people should be aloud to make their own decisions even if it gets them cancer.

• Good job replying. I liked your point on smoking helping relieve stree. 

• I think the smoking age should be 21 years old. I say this because your brain and body are still developing at 18. Smoking is not good for health, therfore It should be raised to an older age. If at all possible I personally think it should be banned, but it won't, therefore 21 should be the age.

• I agree with you 21 is a good age. A lot of people don't think about how there brains are still developing. 

• I think that the smoking age should be 21 because the body is still developing when you're 18. That's also the age you can legally drink alcohol. So if you can drink alcohol legally you should be able to smoke.  But I think, if anything, smoking should be banned because it's harmful to you and the people around you. 

• I think that the smoking age should be 21 because of just how younger kids are trying to get into smoking and it's easier for them to get them. But I don't think it should be banned just for the fact that it will keep happening even if you do ban it.

• I agree. We shouldnt have younger kids smoking. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker