Should Iowa Smoking Age Be 18 Or 21?

On December 20, 2019, The minimum age a person could purchase tobacco products in Iowa, was raised from 18 to 21. Many hoped that raising this would ensure that older high school students wouldn't be able to provide tobacco products for their younger friends. 90 percent of American smokers reported that they began smoking before the age of 18. People hoped that raising this would help prevent young people from being introduced to tobacco products altogether. The National Academy of Medicine reported that 18-20 is the critical period when many smokers move from experimental smoking to regular, daily use.They reported that 46 percent of people become regular everyday smokers before the age of 18.  Another reason for it to be raised was overall health. According to the CDC 480,000 deaths occur annually as a result of smoking. 

Some individuals were upset with the age being raised. Many that were 18 and already everyday smokers became upset when they could no longer purchase nicotine products. Many believe that it should have stayed at 18 because that is the age of a legal adult and people should be able to make their own decisions about their bodies. Some use the argument that if Americans can serve their country at 18 shouldn't they be able to smoke a cigarette? 

I feel that raising the smoking age to 21 was a good decision. I think smoking has a lot of negative effects on a lot of people and whatever we can do to prevent it from becoming more popular is a good thing. 

Do you think the smoking age should be 18? Explain why/why not.10865269086?profile=RESIZE_400x

Do you think the smoking age should be 21? Explain why/why not. 

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Sources

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what-we-do/us/sale-age-21 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2015/03/30/smoking-is-bad/?sh=413749978a90

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think we should banned smoking just because there are a lot of people and familys who depend on it. I will say this though I think that it should be 18, because  when you turn 18 your an adult and I think as growing as an adult you need to make your own dicisions.

• Thank you for commenting. I like your view on being an adult at 18. People should be able to make there own decisions.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Thanks for commenting I like how you mentioned people depending on it, 

• I think it should be 21. I don't think it should be banned because than it will just keep happening behind the scenes but I think it is gross. It smells bad and it is really bad for you. Yes it might be a stress reliver but still it is gross and I think people should not smoke all together.

• I agree it does smell terrible and there's lots of reasons people shouldn't do it. 

• I beleive that smoking age should stay 21 becuse if we lower it we are giving 18 year olds a better chance on getting addicted and a chance to be able to buy them. Im not sure what banning smoking will do because there would be a lot of hate and mabey protesting because there is alot of people all over the world that smoke cigeretts. I do think it could prevent them from ending up having cnacer and other diagnoses. I think it's better to keep the legal age to smoke 21.

• Thanks for commenting. I agree with your opinion, and  banning it would cause alot of drama. 

• I think smoking age should stay 21 because a lot of people get lung cancer and even die when they start smoking at a young age or even starting at 21 they can get symptoms or death.

• Thanks for commenting. I liek how you mentioned people starting young thats a huge problem. 

• I think smoking does lots of harm to people and I do not think it should be lowered just so we keep more people healthy and living. I think it should be moved back because of how much harm it has done to people.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker