Should Iowa Smoking Age Be 18 Or 21?

On December 20, 2019, The minimum age a person could purchase tobacco products in Iowa, was raised from 18 to 21. Many hoped that raising this would ensure that older high school students wouldn't be able to provide tobacco products for their younger friends. 90 percent of American smokers reported that they began smoking before the age of 18. People hoped that raising this would help prevent young people from being introduced to tobacco products altogether. The National Academy of Medicine reported that 18-20 is the critical period when many smokers move from experimental smoking to regular, daily use.They reported that 46 percent of people become regular everyday smokers before the age of 18.  Another reason for it to be raised was overall health. According to the CDC 480,000 deaths occur annually as a result of smoking. 

Some individuals were upset with the age being raised. Many that were 18 and already everyday smokers became upset when they could no longer purchase nicotine products. Many believe that it should have stayed at 18 because that is the age of a legal adult and people should be able to make their own decisions about their bodies. Some use the argument that if Americans can serve their country at 18 shouldn't they be able to smoke a cigarette? 

I feel that raising the smoking age to 21 was a good decision. I think smoking has a lot of negative effects on a lot of people and whatever we can do to prevent it from becoming more popular is a good thing. 

Do you think the smoking age should be 18? Explain why/why not.10865269086?profile=RESIZE_400x

Do you think the smoking age should be 21? Explain why/why not. 

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Sources

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what-we-do/us/sale-age-21 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2015/03/30/smoking-is-bad/?sh=413749978a90

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Thank you for commenting Jaylee. I agree I would also like to see it stay at 21. It does tons of harm.

• No, smoking is bad for you. Smoking has horrible side effects including lung cancer and death. I think the smoking age should be moved back to at least 30, smoking is not only gross and unattractive, but it is also harmful and really affects everyone, not only the people who smoke. 

• Hi Clara. Thanks for commenting. I like your thought on raising it to 30. It would be an interesting thing to see.

• Thanks for commenting. I think moving the age to 30 is smart.

• I think that it should be 21. I think that if we lower more and more people will get lung cancer and are deaths will increase in The United States. And I think that if we keep at 21 most people will not be able to purchase cigarette.

• I agree that it would help peoples health if its banned. 

• I think the smoking age should be 21 because for me its kinda like alcahol. i think that people who are 18 are mature enough but then if the smoking age is 18 then so should the drinking age. i don't think smoking should be banned all together but i also don't think its that bad of an idea.

• Thanks for commenting. I agree with the drinking and smoking age being the same. 

• Personally, I think it was a good idea to raise the age limit. Somking is very harmful to you even more when you are young. raising the age to 21 can atleast prevent a little bit of less smoking. Although, I do not think smoking should be overall banned just higher age limits. 

• Thanks for commenting I like your comment. I also think it was a good idea to raise the age. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker