Should Iowa Smoking Age Be 18 Or 21?

On December 20, 2019, The minimum age a person could purchase tobacco products in Iowa, was raised from 18 to 21. Many hoped that raising this would ensure that older high school students wouldn't be able to provide tobacco products for their younger friends. 90 percent of American smokers reported that they began smoking before the age of 18. People hoped that raising this would help prevent young people from being introduced to tobacco products altogether. The National Academy of Medicine reported that 18-20 is the critical period when many smokers move from experimental smoking to regular, daily use.They reported that 46 percent of people become regular everyday smokers before the age of 18.  Another reason for it to be raised was overall health. According to the CDC 480,000 deaths occur annually as a result of smoking. 

Some individuals were upset with the age being raised. Many that were 18 and already everyday smokers became upset when they could no longer purchase nicotine products. Many believe that it should have stayed at 18 because that is the age of a legal adult and people should be able to make their own decisions about their bodies. Some use the argument that if Americans can serve their country at 18 shouldn't they be able to smoke a cigarette? 

I feel that raising the smoking age to 21 was a good decision. I think smoking has a lot of negative effects on a lot of people and whatever we can do to prevent it from becoming more popular is a good thing. 

Do you think the smoking age should be 18? Explain why/why not.10865269086?profile=RESIZE_400x

Do you think the smoking age should be 21? Explain why/why not. 

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Sources

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what-we-do/us/sale-age-21 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2015/03/30/smoking-is-bad/?sh=413749978a90

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that people are still developing at 18. I think it should be banned as well its very bad health wise.

• I feel like it should be 18. I feel like its an adult desision and technically 18 is an adult age. I think if you can go into war at 18 you shoild be able to drink or smoke becuase you deserve it. If you are fighting for your life you should get to do what you want. And no I think smoking should not be banned. Its a choice for the smoker to smoke or not. Many people smoke for a coping with problems in there life. 

• You make a good point. I agree its the choice of the smoker and we cant really change there decisions either way. Also some people do use it as a coping thing.

• I think they should lower it to 18 becuase the newly adults would be responsible. I think the smoking age now is okay but most people would want it lowerd to 18 becuase they are responsible. I think smoking should not be banned becuase it will loose a lot of peoples jobs and bring out the worst in some people.

• I like that you mentioned jobs. Many would lose their jobs if it was banned. And 18 is the age that people are considered adults so thats a good point.

• I think that the smoking age should be 21, because although this doesn't prevent all underage people from smoking, it still prevents some. Smoking can be dangerous for your health, and it can become addictive. I think that it should be banned altogether because it is a very dangerous habit.

• I like the way you worded this.  Also yes it's very addictive. I think a lot of people start when there young to be cool then grow addicted. 

• I think that there is no point in making the smoking age 21. people will still smoke underage. it won't stop anyone. yeah, smoking is bad for your health but changing the age won't do anything to stop people from smoking.

• I agree that some people won't stop either way.  Good point. 

• I believe that Smoking should be 21 just like alcohol. Both age 21. But no matter the states restrict the products younger people will find a way to get the products from older friends or siblings. But some restrictions help with health in younger people or they should just not sell tobacco products.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker