Should Iowa Smoking Age Be 18 Or 21?

On December 20, 2019, The minimum age a person could purchase tobacco products in Iowa, was raised from 18 to 21. Many hoped that raising this would ensure that older high school students wouldn't be able to provide tobacco products for their younger friends. 90 percent of American smokers reported that they began smoking before the age of 18. People hoped that raising this would help prevent young people from being introduced to tobacco products altogether. The National Academy of Medicine reported that 18-20 is the critical period when many smokers move from experimental smoking to regular, daily use.They reported that 46 percent of people become regular everyday smokers before the age of 18.  Another reason for it to be raised was overall health. According to the CDC 480,000 deaths occur annually as a result of smoking. 

Some individuals were upset with the age being raised. Many that were 18 and already everyday smokers became upset when they could no longer purchase nicotine products. Many believe that it should have stayed at 18 because that is the age of a legal adult and people should be able to make their own decisions about their bodies. Some use the argument that if Americans can serve their country at 18 shouldn't they be able to smoke a cigarette? 

I feel that raising the smoking age to 21 was a good decision. I think smoking has a lot of negative effects on a lot of people and whatever we can do to prevent it from becoming more popular is a good thing. 

Do you think the smoking age should be 18? Explain why/why not.10865269086?profile=RESIZE_400x

Do you think the smoking age should be 21? Explain why/why not. 

Should smoking be banned altogether?

Sources

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/what-we-do/us/sale-age-21 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2015/03/30/smoking-is-bad/?sh=413749978a90

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you. People are going to smoke illegally no matter the age. I agree people should smoke. Thanks for commenting. 

• I agree with you. Smoking has so many negative side effects. Especially between 18 and 20 you might not make the best decisions yet. But I also see why the age should be lowered. If you can serve your country and graduated from high school, you should also be able to decide what you put into your body as well. 

• Thanks for responding. I agree that people should be able to decide what they put in there bodies. Also, its a good point that if you can serve your country you should be able to smoke. 

• I think smoking age should be 21 because it will keep the high school kids out of trouble by smoking a lot at least when your 21 you can buy alcohol. I also the reason why it should stay at 21 is because it is bad smoking for your lungs. I also think if it switch to 18 it can cause a lot of stuff go on.

• Thanks for commenting. I agree its terrible for you. Also I think its better to have it at the same age as alcohol. 

• I think that it should stay at 21 because smoking is very bad for your lungs so if you want to do it when you are 21 that's fine but I think anyone under 21 shouldn't be able to smoke.

• I see you have very similar opinions to me. I agree people under 21 shouldn't be able to smoke. 

• In my opinion the smoking age should not be changed and should stay at 21. smoking causes your lungs and your whole body to go bad and could shut down. 18 year olds should not be smoking because your just getting out of highschool and your gonna ruin your life.

• I agree, Smoking haas so many negative health benifits. 21 is a good age. 

• I think that the smoking age should not be changed to 18 because your body is still going through the growing fase. I also think that smoking should be banned all together because smoking leads to many bad things, such as, cancer, additiing.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker