On December 27th, Justin and Tori Engelhardt, a married couple in Sioux City Iowa, were shocked when they went to check on their fifty beehives containing half a million bees, only to find every hives overturned and hacked apart. The couple had been working on their honey company for about six years, and every hive was completely destroyed, every bee killed inside. The toolshed was also ransacked, all the tools thrown into the snow or broken. The repairs would be an estimated $60,000- it would be a major set back to the six-year-old company. The couple was devastated upon finding their company lying in shatters. They loved their bees, and found them to be amazing and interesting creatures. Almost three weeks later, the two young boys, ages twelve and thirteen, were apprehended by authorities for  the vandalism. The boys are facing multiple charges, but are being withheld because they are juveniles. Because the boys are juveniles, they are lucky to be spared up to 10 years in jail and fines up to 10,000 dollars if they are convicted. Justin and Tori were both happy to hear the news of the arrests, stating, “It’s huge, right? It demonstrates the professionalism and determination of the Sioux City Police Department and we couldn’t be happier." After the vandalism, a kind man by the name of Todd LeCroix in Sioux City launched a GoFundMe page for the couple, and raised $30,000 in a matter of days to help them get back on their feet after the tragedy.

Go to https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/half-million-bees-die-iowa-vandalsim-two-boys-charged-n839196  to learn more.

If you had been working on a company for 6 years only to have it destroyed for no reason, how would you react? Would you push charges against the two boys?

I would be angry at the two boys, and definitely want to press charges against them. behavior like that is completely unacceptable and uncalled for. I don't know where the two boys got the idea to just screw over a couple just trying to make a life for themselves, but I would definitely want them to be punished to know stuff like that is unacceptable.

Do you think it was fair that the boys got off lucky for being juveniles?

Absolutely not. Children should not be allowed to hide behind the "I'm just a little kid" card for doing an obvious crime that they did on purpose. It's unfair to the bee farmers, and the children should have serious consequences for their actions.

Why do you think the boys vandalized the bee farm?

I have no idea why the boys would do this. Maybe they were just being immature and thought it would be funny. Well, now that they've been caught, no one's laughing, kids. Some kids are just immature and troublemakers, but this crime takes trouble making to a whole nother level. I hope those kids get what they deserve instead of being let off easy.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Macey!

• I would be really mad and wonder why in the world they decided to do it. I don't know if I would push charges. It depends on the reason they did it for. I don't know why they vandalized it but if it was for a stupid reason they need to have consequences.

• 1. Yes, I would push as many charges I could until everything was paid for.

2. No, They still should have been charged for something for destroying a whole business and completely ruining a couples lives.

3. Because they're just dumb kids who think breaking stuff is cool.

• I would be so upset if my company were to be destroyed. I don't know how I would react to it. I would press charges agaisnt the boys, because this wasn't a mistake.  I don't think it was fair. Like you stated, they shouldn't hide behind the "I'm just a little kid" card. I think it could have been a dare or being just immature.

• If this was my company that I had been working on for so long, I would be absolutely devestated at the ruins, and absolutely angry at the happenings. Once the children that did this heinous crime were found, I would absolutely press charges. Although they are young and mistakes are made, there is absolutely no reasoning behind this crime. I hate the fact that children can hide behind the age of juveniles, and I think that all need to be punished. There really is no good reasoning as to why these kids would have done this to the farmers. I hope they realize how much of a setback and hurt they have done to others lives.

• 1. I would be extremely upset. I would press charges because they just destroyed everything I have been working on and that was my job. It was uncalled for and they just wanted to create destruction and make their life interesting. 

2. No, I do not believe that is right. Yes kids do stupid things but I am 100% sure they knew what they were doing was wrong in many ways.

3. They might have thought it would be fun to mess with something dangerous because it creates suspense and probably makes them feel cool because they were messing with bees

• I would press charges on the boys because they had no right. That would be heart breaking to find all your hard work destroyed in one night. I don't think that was fair they got off lucky cause they just ruined someones financial capabilities, and now their entire life has been effected. In the early ages boys are stupid, and think they need to be wild and crazy to show they are cool and to here que huevos, but they still need to control themselves.

• I agree. I would definately be devestated if someone ruined my hard work. I get angry at my brothers for ruining a drawing a worked hard on, I can't imagine how outraged I would be to see six years of hard work flushed down the toilet because to immuture boys thought they were being cool.

• I would be very angry because you put your whole life into and then just like that it is stopped. I'm fine with them getting a little slack, but they vandilized a company. I think that thy thought it would be a funny prank that would have no consequences.

• I would have to disagree with you on the boys getting a little slack. I would be outraged to have a company I worked six years to create lay in shatters because to boys thought they were being cool. I think they should have full charges, and not just get off easy because of their age. Being young is no excuse for what those boys did, they are 12 and 13, they should be able to see what is right and wrong, it's as simple as that.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker