5 Years After Oil Spill

On April 20, 2010 a pipe broke in the Gulf of Mexico and cause the worst environmental disaster in U.S. History. The effects are still affecting the Gulf today. Dolphins are dying at an accelerated rate. All fish caught have to be checked and most are returned. Most sea-life is just now starting to recover. Many of the long term affects are still unclear but many scientists are studying it.

Original Article

Do you think something like this could happen again?

How do you think we can/have prevented oil spills for the future?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Again, you didn't reply to an comments. That is worth ten points per topic.

• Everything is possible but we have to do all we can to prevent something this bad from happening again. If this ever happened again it would kill even more of the marine life in that area and it would cause things that those species can't handle. We need to check and check for complications that could happen and make sure we can prevent this. If it means making new pipes and other things, they have to be done.

• There is always a chance that something like this could happen again, but hopefully it doesn't because of the measures they are taking to make sure it doesn't. I think as technology advances there will be ways to try and stop something like this from happening. 

• I think it can most definitely happen again, but now we know what to do and how to deal with it. I think that people can be trained better and there should be stricter rules and safety policies. 

• Yes, it could happen, but we are better prepared to deal with this. They just need to train people better and make the pipes thicker.

• It is possible that this could happen again but everything is now highly monitored and BP just released a commercial about how they have new operating and safety protocols so I would say it's unlikely this would happen again. 

• I bet something like this might occur in the future but hopefully it is more recoverable and controllable. I think that oil spills could be prevented by more precautions and not being careless with the oil.

• I am very glad to hear that the sea-life is starting to recover now since that accident. I feel like this accident was extremely costly for many people living around that area, and was so devastating they will do their best to prevent this from happening again. We always have to remember that things could be worse- animal populations may not have come back, but they are finally starting to come back.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker