1,000 Stray Dogs Have a Place to Live

In Costa Rica there is a sanctuary for stray dogs to live in, named Territorio De Zaguates. It is a no-kill shelter for stray or abandoned dogs from all over Costa Rica. It was originally founded in 2005 in the home of Lya Battle and Alvaro Samut, outisde of San Jose. But, this house was too small to fit all the dogs. Years later, the couple moved to a house with 378 acres of farmland that had been left to Lya when her grandfather passed away. In Costa Rica, the National Animal Health Service estimates there are about a million stray dogs on the streets all over the country. There are new dogs that come to this place all the time looking for a place to stay. Some of the workers and colunteers at this sanctuary often go around and pick up some of the stray dogs that locals have told them about, other dogs are brough in by owners who either don't want them anymore or can't provide for their pets. Every dog is accepted into this shelter, none are turned away. Today, there are more than 1,000 dogs that roam the countryside of Costa Rica. They go on a walk everyday and eat about 858 pounds of food each day. 

Click here for the full article.

Questions - 

1) Would you ever go to Costa Rica to visit this shelter? Why or why not?

2) Do you think these dogs would be dangerous and why?

Answer - 

Yes, I would definitely go to this shelter of stray and abandoned dogs in Costa Rica because I love dogs and I think it would be really fun to just be around all of them, and play with them. It would honestly be hard for me to leave and go back home. I think some of these dogs could potentially be dangerous because some are abandoned and they could be afraid of humans becasue of what their owner might have done to them. But, I think a lot of them probably aren't dangerous because they're used to the workers who are with them everyday. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Josie!

• Yes, i would because I love animals. I can't believe how many are out there on the street it makes me sad to think about it. I mean do you think that's fair to the animal. If i could i would take animals in like this person has. I believe that every animal should have a second chance at life. I don't like shelters that kill animals that have been there for a long time. I'm very happy that people undestand this frustraion that i have. I like that more and more people are openning no kill shelters. All animals should be able to live a long life not be killed if they haven't been adopted. I mean what if we did that to children in the system if they haven't been adopted. Animals have a reason to be here. Most of them are life savers for their owners. Some of them help kids get over things. They help people that are in pain or have a mental disabillity. So i think they have a good reason to be here and thank you to those few people that open no kill shelters god bless you and the animals you save. No i don't because they are sceared and want love not to hurt anyone.

• I also think there should be more no kill shelters for animals, just because they have been there for a while and haven't been adopted doesn't mean you have to kill them because a family could come along later and take that animal into their home and they will be loved. I think a lot of the dogs wouldn't be dangerous, but there might be that one that tries to hurt someone because they're scared and don't know what's happening, and they could make other dogs scared as well. 

• I think it would be so awesome to go to Costa Rica to see this shelter. It would be so cool to see a shelter who is here to actually help the animals.  

I don't think would be. Clearly, the owner is a nice person, and the owners must have some training on how to train dogs. I think that the owners of the shelter train and help all the dog so they are at the best of their behavior. 

• It makes me happy that there are actually people in this world who want to help abused or abandoned dogs. Yes, the owner is a nice person but the dogs could still be potentially dangerous right when they enter the shelter, but after a while of being with the other dogs and the workers they would be more comfortable with them. 

• Yes I would because that would be beautiful sight to see 1,000 dogs being taken care of. I don't think these dogs would be dangerous unless they weren't used to being around other dogs, but eventually they would get used to each other.

• How many dogs do you think are actually in this shelter and being taken care of by the owners? If the dogs were dangerous I think the owners would put them in a different place and help them to not be afraid. 

• I think it would be very interesting to see this shelter because I love dogs in general and I have never seen that many dogs in one place. It really depends on the dogs that are there to determine if the dogs are dangerous or not. 

• I agree, it would just be the best thing to be surounded by dogs at all times, and them jumping on me and playing with them. It does depend on the other dogs there if the dogs are dangerous because they will probably start to act like each other after a while. 

• This would definitely be something I would want to go see. I love dogs and so I would want to be able to walk around and have them all around. I think some of them may be dangerous but I also think having so many dogs around would tame the ones that are a little wild. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker